Email:

Please feel free to email me with any questions/ comments/ ideas that you may have @ bhutchinson401@gmail.com

[[Views]]

9.19.2011

How 'Bout THEM Apples?!?!?!?!

Okay, first...let me say, I haven't forgotten about the "Cooking with Canyon." I just honestly haven't found five spare minutes in my weekend yet. Next weekend, I promise.


Now, on to talk about some apples. My son goes to a church pre-k. He is in the four-year-old class. He goes five days a week, from 9AM until 2PM. He loves school. He seems to like his teacher.

So, in her class she has a discipline system that involves apples.

Green=Great Day!
Yellow=You Can Do Better
Red= OMG, what did you do?  
(Those are my interpretations)


So, my son decided it was okay to bring home a red apple from school last Monday.

Red.

Why?

He turned on the heater in the classroom two times. Hmm.
And, he got sent to the office. Hmm.

I mean, on one hand, yeah, my kid shouldn't have touched the heater, especially if his teacher told him not to. BUT, it's not like he punched some other kid in the face or said a bad word. No. He got in trouble for turning on a heater. Really?

I disciplined him how I thought he should be disciplined. We talked about what happened, he didn't get to watch a show before bath time, and I had to remind him that red apples=no soccer. If it was something bad enough, he wouldn't have played soccer on Saturday, but I just simply reminded him that if he got another apple, he was going to have to sit out on Saturday's game.

Needless to say, we had green apples for the next four days.

I think children need structure. My child is well-balanced. He is respectful, sweet, and can get a little crazy sometimes. But, what four-year-old can’t?

I’m sure we’ll have MANY more “red apple” situations throughout the next 13 years of school.


Lots of exciting things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment