Email:

Please feel free to email me with any questions/ comments/ ideas that you may have @ bhutchinson401@gmail.com

[[Views]]

10.03.2011

Pumpkin Time.

October is one of my FAVORITE months.
The beginning of F-A-L-L.
The beginning of all the fun fall activities.

The beginning of COLDER weather. Finally. 
My mom’s birthday.
My anniversary.
Halloween.
Halloween parties.
Baking.
Decorating for Fall/Thanksgiving.
The beginning of CHRISTMAS SHOPPING. Yes, in OCTOBER!!!
It’s also when I stop spoiling my child because, “Santa is watching.”
I know it might seem like my family & I do A LOT of things, but I am proud to say that I am THE best bargain shopper/deal catcher, ever. No, really, I am.
I just decorated my house (for fall) with a wreath, pumpkins, candles, spider webs, a black cat, etc., all for about $30-35. Crazy, right?
Wrong.
Not to me at least. I LOVE to shop and I figure, the only way to do so and NOT go broke is to transform myself in the bargain shopper.
When I was younger, I worked for my money, but it was different. I didn’t have a child to provide for nor did I have a fiancĂ©. Those two are lucky…they are BOTH spoiled. I would work and spend my money almost immediately. Now, I have a budget—one that I stick to pretty closely.
So, you’re wondering about some FUN, FAMILY activities to do with your kiddo this fall?
Here’s what I do with Canyon:

1.       We paint pumpkins. It’s very inexpensive and kids love it. We do it as a family every year—Daddy pumpkin, Mommy pumpkin, Canyon pumpkin. And, then, we display them outside our front door. Canyon will tell me on a daily basis, “Mommy, we painted those pumpkins.” :) It makes him happy to see his art work every day.
2.       We visit the pumpkin patch. We have a local pumpkin patch that we visit yearly. It’s is remarkable. They have it ALL, literally. They have pumpkins EVERYWHERE, a petting zoo, face painting, jams & jelly for sale, story time, crafts, a playground, etc. I have a picture of Canyon on the same little bench every year since he was a year old. It’s precious to me because it shows how much he really grows over a year’s time. We usually plan it out to go on a cooler day and we spend a few hours there. It’s a fun, family outing that costs about $10 for my family of three.
3.       We bake. A LOT. I usually rack up on the Halloween baking items at Target when they first start displaying all of the Halloween stuff. I usually get a box of cake mix, icing, and decorations for the cupcakes, and of course cookie cutters, etc. Then, closer to Halloween, we have BAKE DAY. We bake cookies and cupcakes and decorate them. Then, we let Canyon pass them out to our families. It’s super fun and gives me some quality time with my little one in the kitchen.
4.       BOO AT THE ZOO!!!  Dress your little ball of energy up in his/her costume and head to the Baton Rouge ZOO on October 15, 16, 22 & 23.You can add a little something extra to your average trip to the zoo by allowing your child(ren) to “trick or treat” throughout the zoo while they visit all of their favorite animals.
5.       Hit up some local fairs!!! There are lots of entertaining things for the kids to do while you get to enjoy a night OUT with your family.

I’m not familiar with a ton of things to do in Baton Rouge. So, if I missing something significant that your kiddo loves, please feel free to email me @ bhutchinson401@gmail.com

ALSO, pick up a copy of BATON ROUGE PARENT'S MAGAZINE! It's filled with LOTS of exciting, fall activities to do with your family. I will definitely be trying some new things this year. I'll blog about all the cool things my family does this fall. ;) Hopefully, you guys get some good tips/ideas!

Remember: Baton Rouge Parent’s Magazine:

PAGE 39: HAUNTS, TREATS AND PUMPKINS---OH MY!

AND, check out PAGE 12...

Funny story: My boys and I were eating at a local bagel shop, after our adventurous morning of taking family pictures, when I spotted the October issue of BR Parent's Magazine. I grabbed it to read while we waited for our delicious breakfast. I skimmed a bit and reached page 12..."Um, that's me." I laughed. Dale just looked at me. I said, "No, really. That's me." The cutest part was Canyon--"Mommy, that's you, in this book. I want to keep it." Of course, I grabbed a few copies. Excitement. 

I'm looking forward to sharing my story with SO many NEW people. But, I am even more excited to hear from my fellow mom's and mom's to be. Lots of new things coming soon to this mom's life, so stay tuned!

:)
Happy FALL y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment