Email:

Please feel free to email me with any questions/ comments/ ideas that you may have @ bhutchinson401@gmail.com

[[Views]]

7.19.2011

fam[ily] is important to me

“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family”

-Anthony Brandt


I have always been a family-oriented person.
I just didn't realize how family-oriented I wanted to be until I had Canyon.


When I started having contractions, I was home alone. Dale was working. I was sitting on the couch, eating red beans and rice, and watching TV. At first, I thought it was just braxton hicks because I had them many times before. I was 37 1/2 weeks pregnant. I didn't think I was in labor. I sent Dale a text and let him know I was in a little bit of pain and that I was going to try and get some sleep (IMPOSSIBLE). He called me to check on me several times and my answer was always the same, "I'm okay", even though I wasn't. I didn't want to worry him and I didn't want him to have to leave work to take me to the ER because we had already been down that road several times.


I spent most of the night on the phone with my mom & Dale-- and laying in the bathtub. I was trying to stay relaxed, but I was freaking out. At about 5 AM, I finally couldn't take it anymore. My contractions were semi-regular and starting to really hurt. Dale got off at 6, but he left at 5 to come home. He showered and we went to the hospital. They sent us straight up to Labor and Delivery and got us a room. They hooked me up to monitor my contractions and the nurse came in to check me. I was only 1 CM, but my contractions were regular. She called my Doctor.


I remember the nurse coming into my room and saying, "Okay, we are going to induce. I will start the pitocin in a few minutes." Then, she walked out of the room. Oh, WOW. We were about to have a baby. I panicked and looked at Dale. He looked pretty panicked too. We called our parents immediately since they were all three hours away.


They arrived quickly--or so it seemed. I'm sure they weren't going the speed limit.


When I was 3 CM, the Doctor came in to break my water. This made me jump up to 4 CM. We then discussed my epidural. I wanted to try and wait as long as possible before I asked for it. However, I refused as the Doctor was leaving the room. She didn't make it probably four steps out before I was screaming for it. WOW. Worst pain ever. 


I had to have TWO epidurals because the first one only numbed one side of my body. That was crazy.


Luckily, (NOT) my epidural wore off right as I was pushing Canyon out. I felt everything.


I was in labor for 27 hours total with Canyon. THREE of those hours consisted of pushing.


Thank GOD for my family and Dale's family for being there. We needed all the support we could get. Dale and my mom were both in the room with me while I was giving birth. I knew I would need them both and I am really glad they were there for me--and for Canyon.


When Canyon was in the NICU for those 13 days, our parents took turns coming down daily to check on us and make sure we were really okay. Phone calls just weren't cutting it. They gave us some comfort. Knowing they were there and we had so many people that loved us and loved Canyon was nice.


Now that I have my own little family to take care of, I know exactly what my parents felt. When you have a child, you worry about them more than yourself. You do whatever you have to do to keep them safe and taken care of. I just want to raise Canyon to have an appreciation for his family and to know how lucky he is.


Having such big families is wonderful and overwhelming (in a good way). We love everyone and we are so blessed that our son gets to grow up with so many people loving him. We couldn't ask for a better group of people to call our family.


:)





No comments:

Post a Comment